Monday, March 23, 2009

Salute to the Armed Forces

It's not often you get to sit at home and an idea comes to your mind that has absolutely nothing to do with baseball, but you know it's something you want to express to a few thousand people you haven't even met, or know anything about. But there is one thing you share in common with those same people, the love of sports, because they're no different from us sports fans here at home.

Who are those few thousand people I speak of? It's the men and women of the armed forces, those same men and women who make it possible for me to write an article like this. This isn't just any article, this is my own personal "Thank You" to those serving overseas, or even those who are still here in the US patrolling our borders and oceans. The ones who put their lives on the line every single day so we can go to work, knowing we have nothing to fear.

I moved from Fresno, CA, or more well known as the Central Valley which stretches Bakersfield to just south of San Jose, to San Diego, CA, one of the most beautiful cities I've ever had the chance to live in. While there, being a San Diego Padre fan, I got a chance to go to a lot of Sunday afternoon games at Petco Park, and I watched the Marines file in from Camp Pendleton and it high up in the upper deck in right field, a sea of camouflage. If you've ever been to a game at Petco Park, you know that one moment that will never cease to give you chills, even bring a tear to your eye. In the 7th inning of every Padres home game, the Marine Corps song starts up and every single Marine in the upper deck stands at attention and every fan in attendance stands to their feet, hats off, just like it was the National Anthem all over again. When the song finishes, a standing ovation ensues that continues for a good five minutes. I'm telling you, it's like no other feeling I've ever felt going to a baseball game.

It's moments like that that just make me proud to be an American, the moment that makes you realize that we haven't forgotten about any of you who serve for us all.

So, with all this being said, I wanted to hear from those of you who are reading this and are part of our military forces. No matter your rank, branch of military or where you are. What are your thoughts on the state of the game of baseball? If you're a Padres fan, what are you most disappointed with? What player or prospect are you most excited about? If there's someone you'd love to see interviewed, who would it be?

I'd love for you to leave your comments on the site, give me your feedback and be a part of the site as much as you want to. I look forward to hearing from each and every one of you, God Bless you and stay safe!

No comments: